|Home page|| ||Text size|| ||E-mail this page|
News Briefs: Friday, May 24, 2013
WSCC lays charges
The Workers' Safety and Compensation Commission has laid 14 charges after an employee was seriously injured in a fall at the Northwest Territories Power Corporation Bluefish Hydro site.
According to the commission, the 14 counts allege breaches of the Safety Act and General Safety Regulations, specifically failing to ensure scaffolding was properly built and maintained.
Supervisor Dave Magnuson and the individual responsible for inspecting the scaffolding, Chris Labelle, of North American Construction (1993) Ltd. have both been charged for failing to ensure scaffolding was properly built and maintained in compliance with the regulations, according to a commission news release yesterday.
- Cody Punter
Renovations to one of the courtrooms at the Yellowknife courthouse have been completed.
Changes were made to Courtroom 1, which sits Supreme Court proceedings, due to a recent modification to the Criminal Code of Canada that requires juror boxes to accommodate 14 jurors. Prior to the renovations there were only 12 seats for jurors in Courtroom 1.
Work was also done to update the way technology was incorporated into the room and to improve video capabilities. The neighbouring courtroom, which was closed during the construction due to noise, has also been reopened.
- Miranda Scotland
Summer water lines to turn on soon
Summer water lines will be turned on for the season starting May 29 and will be shut down again on Sept. 9. The water lines are located north of School Draw Avenue, in Old Town and on Latham Island. The city is asking residents to ensure their tank assemblies are ready for connection to the surface line system and to refrain from using water until May 29.
- Miranda Scotland
Yellowknifer earns national awards
The Canadian Community Newspaper Association awarded Yellowknifer two national awards for general excellence earlier this month.
Yellowknifer was awarded a blue ribbon in its class for best overall newspaper. It also won second in its class for best editorial page.
- NNSL staff
News Briefs: Thursday, May 23, 2013
Election for Nahanni Butte Dene Band being held
The Nahanni Butte Dene Band is holding an election for the position of chief.
Clayton Konisenta, who had been chief since last June, resigned on April 26. The election is scheduled for June 6 at the Nahanni Butte community gymnasium.
As of May 21 no nominations for the position had been received. There is no closing date for nominations so band members can have as much time as possible to come forward, said Frank Moretti, the band manager.
Jayne Konisenta is the acting chief until an election or acclamation takes place.
Large graduating class in Fort Simpson
Thomas Simpson School is preparing for what may be the school's largest graduating class to date.
Twenty-six students are eligible to participate in the graduation ceremony on June 1. This may be the school's largest graduating class, said Freda Blyth, the school's principal.
The ceremony, which is open to the community, will take place at 2 p.m. on the school grounds or in the gymnasium in the case of rain. A dinner for invited guests will follow at 6:30 p.m.
Ferry begins operations near Fort Simpson
The MV Lafferty began operating on the Mackenzie River near Fort Simpson on May 19.
The ferry was six days later than its 10-year average opening date of May 13. Preparations are now underway to launch the MV Johnny Berens that crosses the Mackenzie River at the N'Dulee crossing between Fort Simpson and Wrigley.
According to the Department of Transportation, the ferry is expected to begin service later this week. The Johnny Berens has a 10-year average opening date of May 23.
First golf tournament of 2013 coming up at Seven Spruce
The Seven Spruce Golf Course will be holding its first tournament of the season this weekend.
The Opening Day Tournament will follow a two-person scramble format over 18 holes on May 25. Tee-off times are available at 9 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
Golfers can register at the golf course 30 minutes prior to the tee times.
Following the annual cleanup, which 40 people volunteered for on May 18, the course has opened for the season.
Conference coming to Inuvik
The Inuit Circumpolar Council announced in a May 21 press release it will hold its general assembly in Inuvik in July 2014.
This is the first time in 12 years that Canadian Inuit will host the conference.
Inuit delegates, musicians, artists, and others will gather from Russia, Greenland, Alaska, and Canada to map out the path forward for the organization over the subsequent four years, according to the release.
"Canadian Inuit have a great opportunity to show not only other Inuit, but the whole world, what great hosts we can be," said ICC Canada president Duane Smith.
ICC Canada has started the preparation for this major event, which will be hosted by the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation.
"We see the Inuit Circumpolar Council as a great body that unites all Inuit and undertakes work internationally that benefits us all at the local and regional levels," said Nellie Cournoyea, corporation chair and chief executive officer.
Inuvik councillor re-elected to association
Town councillor Clarence Wood had better luck winning a leadership than Mayor Floyd Roland at the NWT Association of Communities earlier this month.
"I was re-elected to my fifth term as vice-president of the association," Wood told the Inuvik Drum. "I was acclaimed for the third term in a row."
Leanne Goose heads festival board
After a May 15 election, musician Leanne Goose is now the president of the End of the Road Music Festival board.
The organizing committee is now preparing to select a date for the August celebration and will begin recruiting musicians after that.
Goose is planning on being one of the performers.
Bell Mobility loses lawsuit
Bell Mobility has been found to have wrongly charged thousands of Northern customers fees for 9-1-1 services it doesn't provide in most of the territories.
The class action suit was launched by Yellowknife residents James and Samuel Anderson almost six years ago, and everyone who has been paying 75 cents a month for the 9-1-1 services since April 10, 2010 is a claimant.
Bell Mobility plans to appeal the decision.