NUNAVUT – Musical artists from across the territory had the opportunity to work on new songs with the award-winning Twin Flames duo of Jaaji and Chelsey June in March.
The six emerging artists attended a songwriting workshop organized by Alianait and funded by the Department of Culture and Heritage.
The six new songs are:
– Irnikuluga by Lazarus “Mister” Qattalik of Iglulik;
– Place I Call Home by Mary Itorcheak of Iqaluit;
– Quviasugitsi by Corey Panika of Rankin Inlet;
– Anaanaga by Leanna Wilson of Iqaluit;
– I Can’t Believe You’re Gone by Gordon Kaniak of Kugluktuk; and,
– Upigivunga Pijunanirni by Tooma Laisa of Iqaluit.
The songs were professionally recorded and immortalized on video by Nuvu Studios and Qajaaq Ellsworth. As well, the Inuit Broadcasting Corporation filmed and interviewed the artists, and Qaggiavuut interviewed and recorded live performances for its Red Wall Sessions, said Alianait executive director Heather Daley.
To hear the songs, visit the Alianait website.