The Office of the Chief Public Health Officer has declared an outbreak at Diavik Diamond Mine after a second worker tested positive for Covid-19.
The person was already in self-isolation and it is highly probably they were infected at the mine. The first case was announced March 29.
“Both workers with Covid-19 are safely self-isolating at a secure location on-site with medical staff monitoring their condition. They are currently doing well.”
According to the GNWT, an outbreak is declared when it meets the criteria of a closed facility, such as a mine or remote camp, as having one or more confirmed or probable cases of Covid-19.
The infection must also be acquired within the facility.
According to the release, the individual’s second case was identified by Diavik medical staff and confirmed with a PCR Test at Stanton Territorial Hospital.
“The individual is among the contacts of the source case that was identified at the mine earlier this week (March 29),” the release states.
Chief public health officer Dr. Kami Kandola says that medical staff will be continuing to monitor and assess all employees at the worksite as per Covid safety protocols.
“The OCPHO is working closely with Diavik mine to ensure the two individuals with COVID-19 and contacts continue to safely isolate,” Kandola stated. “The company will test all employees at the mine site and continue to work with public health officials to mitigate transmission risk.”
She said there remains no public risk to NWT communities or residents due to the outbreak.