A brief guide to council candidacy

by James O'Connor - September 6, 2018

You need to obtain a package from returning officer Debbie Gillard at city hall.

Your form must be signed by two people, who are eligible to vote in the election, in the presence of a notary public, a commissioner for oaths, or the returning officer.

You must be a Canadian Citizen, 18 years or older and been a Yellowknife resident for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the day nominations close, Sept. 17.

There are a number of situations that will disqualify you from running. These include: being a judge, a member of the legislative assembly; a full-time permanent salaried employee of the city; an assessor or auditor of the city; if you continue to owe the city more than $500 for more than 90 days (other than

municipal taxes) or if you have a controlling interest in a private or public corporation that is indebted to the city for more than $500 for more than 90 days (again, other than municipal taxes).

You also can’t run for municipal office if you haven’t paid all municipal taxes before Dec. 31 of the year in which the taxes were levied.

More barriers from running include: If you have been convicted of a major election offence under the Local Authorities Elections Act within the three years from election day, Oct. 15; or if you have been convicted of an offence punishable by imprisonment for five years or more within the three years

immediately preceding election day; or if your imprisonment terminates within the three years immediately preceding Oct. 15.

Now, if you live in a shelter or hostel and have no regular “dwelling place,” that will do as a residence.

Also, if you are in jail – but you still qualify, after reading the information above on convicts – your ordinary residence is the place you lived before incarceration.

If you get cold feet, and there are more than the minimum required number of nominated candidates, you can pull your name within 48 hours after Sept. 17.

There are currently no maximum limits for the civic election with regard to campaign contributions or expenses. So yes, a few deep-pocketed backers could raise your profile quite a bit.

Campaign materials – a sign, poster, placard, pamphlet, advertisement, banner or other material promoting or opposing the election of a candidate are subject to “no campaign zones.” These are around schools and city hall.

Also, if you have plastered your vehicle with campaign graphics and are driving people to vote on election day, you must only stop at the poll long enough for the voter to exit or enter the vehicle.